Comments on the competition result by Christine Panushka, Chairperson of the Jury
Firstly, we want to thank Sayoko Kinoshita, who trusted us to undertake this very important and delicate task.
Secondly, we want to thank the Selection Committee for making our job so difficult!
Each of the 60 films we watched are special and brilliant works. We wish we had 60 prizes to share. But, alas we do not.
After careful and conscientious consideration, our jury chose the following awards because these films light the path to the future for our beloved art of animation.
- Country:Rep. of Korea / France
- Directed/Produced/Distributed in Asia by: Dahee Jeong (Between the pictures)
- Co-Produced/Distributed by: Ron Dyens (Sacrebleu Productions)
- © 2016. Jeong Dahee all rights reserved
[ Comments on Awarding ] For a delicate and sophisticated masterpiece that expresses the empty place left by a loved one in our life.
Among the black waves
- Directed by: Anna Budanova (Studio "Ural-Cinema")
- Produced by: Irina Volodina (Studio "Ural-Cinema")
[ Comments on Awarding ] For a brilliantly directed and designed film about what happens to Love when there is no freedom.
Yùl and the Snake
- Directed by: Gabriel Harel (Kazak Productions)
- Produced by: Amaury Ovise (Kazak Productions)
- Distributed by: Kazak Productions
- © Kazak Productions
[ Comments on Awarding ] To express human feelings, contradictions and weaknesses in animation is not an easy task. This young director managed to convey a unique presence through animated acting that brought complex and realistic characters to life.
Renzo Kinoshita Prize
- Directed by: David Coquard Dassault (Autour de Minuit)
- Produced by: Nicolas Schmerkin (Autour de Minuit), Thibault Ruby (Schmuby productions)
- Distributed by: Nicolas Schmerkin (Autour de Minuit)
[ Comments on Awarding ] The film portrays how an urban environment can become wild again. How the normal order is turned around.
For the brilliant work of a very promising animator.
- Directed by: Natalia Chernysheva (PCHELA STUDIO)
- Produced/Distributed by: Vladimir Gassiev (PCHELA STUDIO)
- Distributed by: PCHELA STUDIO
This prize is given to the most popular work voted by the audience.
Special International Jury Prize
- Directed by: Natalia Chernysheva (La Poudrière)
- Produced/Distibuted by: Annick Teninge (La Poudrière)
- © La Poudrière 2015
[ Comments on Awarding ] For a playful drama with excellent graphics, about love and transformation.
One, Two, Tree
- Country:France / Switzerland
- Directed by: Yulia Aronova (FOLIMAGE)
- Produced by: Corinne Destombes (FOLIMAGE), Nicolas Burlet (NADASDY FILM)
- Distributed by: Jeremy Mourlam (FOLIMAGE)
- © Folimage / Nadasdy film / 2015
[ Comments on Awarding ] This film shows finally what we have always suspected and was never confirmed.
1, 2, trees
Having feelings as well!
- Directed by: Igor Kovalyov
- Produced by: Alexey Bondar (Bazelevs), Elena Malenkina (Bazelevs), Irina Fomchenko (Bazelevs)
- Distributed by: Elena Malenkina (Bazelevs)
[ Comments on Awarding ] For an overwhelming artistic vision and direction driving us through the mysterious undergrounds of human heart.
- Directed/Produced/Distributed by: Eri Okazaki (Tama Art University)
- ©Eri Okazaki
[ Comments on Awarding ] A clever and sensitive visual treat, playing with negative and positive space.
- Directed/Produced/Distributed by: Cesar Diaz Melendez (cesarlinga)
- © Cesarlinga
[ Comments on Awarding ] In the past, like in our days, those whom we should trust are not always faithful to this task. In three minutes, the director clearly demonstrates that helpfulness can lead to tragedy.
Chulyen, a Crow's tale
- Directed by: Agnès Patron, Cerise Lopez
- Produced by: Edwina Liard (Ikki Films), Nidia Santiago (Ikki Films)
- Distributed by: Edwina Liard
- © chulyen a crow's tale
[ Comments on Awarding ] For an enigmatic, powerful and beautiful film, supremely designed and animated...
- Directed/Produced/Distributed by: Koji Yamamura (Yamamura Animation, Inc.)
- © Yamamura Animation
[ Comments on Awarding ] Roll up!! Roll up!!
Welcome to the Ballet Russes, a bit different from Picasso.
Here comes an innocent and nonsensical parade!
Life with Herman H. Rott
- Country:Estonia / Croatia / Denmark
- Directed/Produced/Distributed by: Chintis Lundgren (Chintis Lundgreni Animatsioonistuudio)
[ Comments on Awarding ] Opposites are often attracted. This piece is an insightful and original portrayal of such a couple.
- Directed by: Riho Unt (OÜ Nukufilm)
- Produced by: Kerdi Oengo and Andrus Raudsalu (OÜ Nukufilm)
- Distributed by: Kerdi Oengo (OÜ Nukufilm)
[ Comments on Awarding ] The film shows how an old story can be turned into an contemporary film that talks about today’s political situation with his own voice. A dog and an ape show how the world can suddenly be reversed.
- Directed by: Theodore Ushev
- Produced by: Theodore Ushev (9311-8990 Quebec Inc. / Les Productions Unité centrale)
- Distributed by: Vanja Andrijevic (Bonobostudio)
- © 9311-8990 Quebec Inc. / Les Productions Unité centrale
[ Comments on Awarding ] For surrealistic, playful, explosively drawn music.
- Directed by: Samuel Yal (Double Mètre Animation)
- Produced/Distributed by: Florian Duval (Double Mètre Animation)
[ Comments on Awarding ] For an extraordinary original experimental vision expressing the body in pain.
The night of the Naporitan
- Directed/Produced/Distributed by: Yusuke Sakamoto
[ Comments on Awarding ] For its totally surprising, lyric and absurd humor...